Pathway of the Quarter: Developing Your Coaching Skills

View Only
  • 1.  Week 5: Informal Coaching, Lessons 1-2: 4 items: 13 minutes

CUES STAFF
    Posted Oct 30, 2023 07:00 AM

So, how about informal coaching? Let’s learn about it in Section 5!

See you Wednesday!

------------------------------
    Laura Gibbs
    CUES
    Member Engagement Manager
    laurag@cues.org

• 2.  RE: Week 5: Informal Coaching, Lessons 1-2: 4 items: 13 minutes

CUES STAFF
    Posted Nov 02, 2023 10:30 PM

What an interesting section this week! Positive feedback! Typically, when I think about coaching, what comes to mind is how can I help in a situation … Often, the good work goes overlooked. Feedback is essential for everyone. One thing I've been working on with feedback is providing a "why" to the good job. Think back to a time when someone told you "Good job" or "Great work" or "You're awesome". It is lovely to hear, but do you know why you are getting that feedback; what did you do that made it a good job, great work, and why are you awesome? When providing constructive feedback, we're specific, but why not with positive feedback? Being specific in why you have positive feedback, not only boosts morale, but it also will reinforce the behavior. For me, whenever I get a "thumbs up" my response is "thank you for saying that, tell me why you think that."

I appreciated the tips from Lisa Adam's video about on the spot coaching. Approaching the conversation calmly (even if you may not be calm), asking questions about what is going on (gaining clarity), don't go in with a game plan for a resolution – but reacting quickly to small situations so they don't become bigger in the future.

I really enjoyed the sample coaching conversation in the Informal Coaching for Managers article. It gave a nice example of how to ask the right questions without leading to and answer from you. In this case, the team member acknowledged the issue, and a provided resolution – the perfect scenario. How could this have gone awry?

Please share your thoughts from this week, I can't wait to hear about your takeaways. Do you have examples of times you've received on the spot coaching? As a people leader, are you doing this type of coaching? If not, do you think you'll start implementing it?

Laura Gibbs
    CUES
    laurag@cues.org

• 3.  RE: Week 5: Informal Coaching, Lessons 1-2: 4 items: 13 minutes

Posted Nov 07, 2023 09:14 AM

I like the idea of "on the spot" coaching, especially for positive reinforcement when catching the employee doing something right.  I recently relinquished ownership of our all staff meetings.  It's a hard thing for me to do, let go!  But I let my employee own it from start to finish.  I was a bit worried, but I let it go.  The final product was great and we had an excellent meeting.  I provided feedback to my employee by telling her great job (I only made a few minor tweaks).  This section made me re think how I could have handled that feedback differently or even better.  I know it meant the world to her to get a "good job" from me, but could I have made a bigger impact?  Could I have been more specific?  Could I have left out "I only made a few minor tweaks"?    

Laura Kondo - PACE, PHR, SHRM-CP
    Sr. Executive Assistant
    USF Federal Credit Union
    Tampa, FL 33612
    www.usffcu.com

• 4.  RE: Week 5: Informal Coaching, Lessons 1-2: 4 items: 13 minutes

Posted Nov 07, 2023 12:09 PM

Hey y'all! 

Playing catch up this week and doing all the reading. 

I REALLY liked this week's topic. As an aspiring leader and current employee, week 5's readings gave me a ton of ideas and things to think on. I think the most insightful article was the article from Baird Group - 4 tips for improving your on the spot coaching. Specifically, the "keys to employee engagement" really spelled out what I, as an employee, really value from leaders on my teams. Employees are engaged when managers spend time with their team, when managers provide regular feedback, and when the employees know where they stand regarding their performance and team engagement.

Our Marketing team is fully remote so these ideas and tips made me wonder how my managers and leaders could better coach in casual ways remotely. My brain went to "offline" follow ups after calls. Like it would be awesome to hear from my manager that they enjoyed seeing me engage and enjoy my time in a social call with the team. Or if they followed up after I led a call with external teams and let me know that they thought I did a great job.

What are your thoughts? How could we encourage "water cooler" moments for coaching when we are not all together in a shared office space? 

Anthony Bertolini
    Marketing Strategist
    Oregon Community CU
    Springfield OR

• 5.  RE: Week 5: Informal Coaching, Lessons 1-2: 4 items: 13 minutes

CUES STAFF
    Posted Nov 07, 2023 01:20 PM

This is what I absolutely LOVE about shared learning - everyone has different takeaways!

Do you have regular 1x1s with your manager? If so, that is the perfect time to open the conversation about how you'd like to be coached and receive feedback. Reference the article! 

It can be challenging in a remote workplace for sure, so that open communication is key. Have you thought of initiating that afterwards call yourself and asking for feedback?

Laura Gibbs
    CUES
    laurag@cues.org

• 6.  RE: Week 5: Informal Coaching, Lessons 1-2: 4 items: 13 minutes

Posted Nov 08, 2023 05:07 PM

Yeah shared learning is awesome! 

I do have biweekly 1x1s with my manager, but it usually pretty focused on project updates and upcoming focuses. Once a month it focuses on goal work. 

I have not thought about initiating and asking for the feedback first. But I will definitely do that moving forward! This week and week 6's reading gave me a few ideas that I'll be working with my manager and director on after the course is finished. Very insightful stuff! 

Looking forward to our roundtable! 

Anthony Bertolini
    Marketing Strategist
    Oregon Community CU
    Springfield OR

• 7.  RE: Week 5: Informal Coaching, Lessons 1-2: 4 items: 13 minutes

Posted Nov 08, 2023 10:36 AM

I meet with my team as a group 3 times a week. One of these sessions is a training session. 

The other 2 sessions I use for departmental/organizational updates and KUDOS. I've realized during these difficult times (Lending specific) that words of encouragement go a long way. Even when meeting with my team 1:1 to go over their prior months number and overall performance if I can smash an area of opportunity between two forms of recognition it goes over much better.

I pull reports and acknowledge team members with good funding days or top ancillary product sales sporadically. These spontaneous kudos are often the fire they need. With that being said I realize I need to be more specific to situations (IE: I really like how you overcame the objection to the warranty with Mr Member. Would you be willing to share this with the team?) Having team members share their success with others and their best practices has proven to move the needle more than just coming from a leader.

Our organization has also adopted "Start Stop Continue" to encourage team members to bring issues forward with a resolution in mind. This helps minimize the negativity in the conversations and helps the credit union improve and maintain culture. This has also proven beneficial when providing coaching as well, as it allows the employee to think through the situation and identify opportunities but also celebrate their own successes. 

Lauren Smith
    Consumer Lending Sales Manager
    USF FCU
    Tampa FL