Pathway of the Quarter: Developing Your Coaching Skills

View Only
  • 1.  Week 4: Monitoring Coaching Progress, Lessons 1-3: 3 items: 9 minutes

CUES STAFF
    Posted Oct 23, 2023 07:01 AM

Cruising along this pathway! Section 4 is all about monitoring the progress of your coaching conversations. As always, I’ll see you Wednesday with my takeaways.

P.S. If you haven’t already, be sure to register to our roundtable session, happening November 9th!

------------------------------
    Laura Gibbs
    CUES
    Member Engagement Manager
    laurag@cues.org

• 2.  RE: Week 4: Monitoring Coaching Progress, Lessons 1-3: 3 items: 9 minutes

Posted Oct 23, 2023 01:30 PM

Put. It. On. The. Calendar.

Have truer words ever been advised? If it's not there, it isn't happening. This is my #1 key to life, much less to coaching. In addition to helping to maintain good habits, providing support, and monitoring growth, putting time on your calendar specifically for your employee -- even if it's 15 minutes -- makes the employee feel truly valued and appreciated. Your team knows the value of your time, and when you invest it in their development, they blossom. 

[Leslie] [Dombalis] CCM
    [Vice President, Loan Originations Document Support]
    [SECU]
    [Raleigh] [NC]
    [919.839.8508]

• 3.  RE: Week 4: Monitoring Coaching Progress, Lessons 1-3: 3 items: 9 minutes

CUES STAFF
    Posted Oct 24, 2023 12:44 PM

I am in 100% agreement with you on this! I live by my calendar. I was just having a conversation today about this. If I need to remember to do something, on my calendar it goes. I need all the reminders I can get. It truly keeps me accountable. 

Laura Gibbs
    CUES
    laurag@cues.org

• 4.  RE: Week 4: Monitoring Coaching Progress, Lessons 1-3: 3 items: 9 minutes

Posted Oct 25, 2023 06:13 AM

I'm so far behind, but plan to catch up by the time we have the roundtable session (I think I already registered).  

Laura Kondo - PACE, PHR, SHRM-CP
    Sr. Executive Assistant
    USF Federal Credit Union
    Tampa, FL 33612
    www.usffcu.com

• 5.  RE: Week 4: Monitoring Coaching Progress, Lessons 1-3: 3 items: 9 minutes

CUES STAFF
    Posted Oct 25, 2023 09:51 AM

Hi Laura! 

Yes, you are registered for the roundtable. Can't wait to see you there :)

Laura Gibbs
    CUES
    laurag@cues.org

• 6.  RE: Week 4: Monitoring Coaching Progress, Lessons 1-3: 3 items: 9 minutes

CUES STAFF
    Posted Oct 25, 2023 07:01 AM

Managers play a crucial role in the follow-up of coaching with actually following up on progress and reinforcing it. Taking the coaching seriously sets the expectation with the coachee that this is something you really want to build on. It will also help to see results. How great is a conversation, whether you’ve been the coach or coachee, with no follow up? In my experience those conversations go in one ear and right out the other. Also, in my experience, if you set the expectation, a scheduled follow up timeframe, and mention “the goal is to move past this” seems to go along way.

Did you learn something new in this section?

Put yourself in the coachee shoes, what works best for you in this scenario?

Laura Gibbs
    CUES
    laurag@cues.org

• 7.  RE: Week 4: Monitoring Coaching Progress, Lessons 1-3: 3 items: 9 minutes

Posted Oct 25, 2023 04:03 PM

Hey Laura! 

I'm mostly experienced in the 'coachee' perspective. So, for me, I really enjoy the "engage your peers" or teaching is the best way of learning from the measuring coaching effectiveness article. I have often been tasked with doing my best to lead collaborative team conversations whenever I can to help grow the skills I need to do my job well. 

I have not experienced a coaching session where a follow up session was set as an expectation on our calendars. That is something that I think I will suggest to my manager moving forward. We often do monthly check ins on goal work, but I think setting the frequency of those check ins and giving them more structure might be really helpful for myself and maybe my coworkers. 

That said, I agree with the first article in this week's readings, set expectations and schedule follow up together. Follow up and check ins should happen as often as a coachee needs them to happen. 

Thanks! 

Anthony Bertolini
    Marketing Strategist
    Oregon Community CU
    Springfield OR