Pathway of the Quarter: Developing Your Coaching Skills

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Week 3: Applying Coaching Skills, Lessons 1-5: 6 items: 18 minutes

• 1.  Week 3: Applying Coaching Skills, Lessons 1-5: 6 items: 18 minutes

CUES STAFF
    Posted Oct 16, 2023 07:01 AM

Checking into the halfway point this week! We’ll learn about applying the coaching skills we are learning. See you all Wednesday!

------------------------------
    Laura Gibbs
    CUES
    Member Engagement Manager
    laurag@cues.org

• 2.  RE: Week 3: Applying Coaching Skills, Lessons 1-5: 6 items: 18 minutes

Posted Oct 23, 2023 01:26 PM

I got so busy last week, I completely forgot to come by and share my thoughts on Part 3!! However, just because I didn't talk about it doesn't mean I didn't actually do it. What's funny is the thing that preoccupied me the most last week was this new mentorship program I'm taking part in -- and almost every single article in this section applies to not only coaching employees but mentoring others as well. I really like the "Asking the Right Questions" article in particular. 

[Leslie] [Dombalis] CCM
    [Vice President, Loan Originations Document Support]
    [SECU]
    [Raleigh] [NC]
    [919.839.8508]

• 3.  RE: Week 3: Applying Coaching Skills, Lessons 1-5: 6 items: 18 minutes

CUES STAFF
    Posted Oct 23, 2023 03:34 PM

I loved this article too. What did you like about it? I pulled a few of these questions for 1x1 meetings as well as a few to hold in my back pocket. I'll be revising this article I am sure of it!

Laura Gibbs
    CUES
    laurag@cues.org

• 4.  RE: Week 3: Applying Coaching Skills, Lessons 1-5: 6 items: 18 minutes

Posted Oct 24, 2023 05:18 AM

LOL - you pulled a "few" of the questions. I literally copied and pasted the whole list into a word document.

"How can I hold you accountable in a way that will sound supportive and won't come across as negative or micromanaging?" WHAT A FABULOUS QUESTION!!! Setting the parameters for feedback at the beginning and getting that buy-in from your coachee is KEY.

"What would be a good way to bring this up with you so that you will be open to hearing it?" Has your boss every asked you that? I wish mine had. Or my mom. Frame your critique in a way that I will be open to hearing it and I'll listen all day. And it's a simple question - simply one we don't ask. 

[Leslie] [Dombalis] CCM
    [SECU]
    [Raleigh] [NC]
    [919.839.8508]

• 5.  RE: Week 3: Applying Coaching Skills, Lessons 1-5: 6 items: 18 minutes

CUES STAFF
    Posted Oct 24, 2023 12:29 PM

HAHAH!!! I didn't want to come across as greedy :) I absolutely copied all the questions!!!! Glad I am not alone!

Laura Gibbs
    CUES
    laurag@cues.org

• 6.  RE: Week 3: Applying Coaching Skills, Lessons 1-5: 6 items: 18 minutes

Posted Oct 25, 2023 02:42 PM

Leslie, I also really liked those questions! 

I have never had a manager ask me how I want to be held accountable. What a refreshing thing. 

At my current role, I have had a few conversations with my manager about how I would like to receive criticism specifically. It definitely helped me trust my supervisor more and encouraged me to be more receptive to criticism. 

I feel like that sort of openness could also help anyone who collaborates together regularly. For me, it makes me think about working with the content writers and graphic designers on my teams. Setting those expectations and asking them how they want to receive feedback on their work is definitely something that I am going to try. 

Thanks for sharing your insights! 

Anthony Bertolini
    Marketing Strategist
    Oregon Community CU
    Springfield OR

• 7.  RE: Week 3: Applying Coaching Skills, Lessons 1-5: 6 items: 18 minutes

Posted Oct 25, 2023 02:52 PM

Oh my goodness - "A marketing strategist, a graphic designer and a content writer walk into a bar..." I'm sorry - my mind went there immediately, and I needed that giggle this afternoon. But for sure -- different minds take different approaches and thusly need to be approached differently. It's crazy how much we can learn if we just ask the question, right? It's the getting over the anxiety we have about asking -- "Does this question make me look dumb?" - that hangs us up the most. 

[Leslie] [Dombalis] CCM
    [SECU]
    [Raleigh] [NC]
    [919.839.8508]

• 8.  RE: Week 3: Applying Coaching Skills, Lessons 1-5: 6 items: 18 minutes

CUES STAFF
    Posted Oct 23, 2023 03:34 PM

From the 3 Employee Coaching Essentials video, which tips are you going to work on?

1.      Non-verbal support

2.      Active listening

3.      Express interest in the coachee

For me, it will be active listening. Working remotely truly puts this skill to the test! Meetings are virtual, which means everything I "could" be doing, is right at my fingertips, and distractions are inevitable. Just this morning, in a meeting, I found myself half paying attention to what was being said due to an email that popped up in my inbox. I had to ask my team to repeat what the conversation was about (we were catching up on the weekend). In that moment, I felt awful and remembered this video from last week. I will actively work on my active listening skills and one way I can do that, is shutting off notifications while connecting with my team to avoid as many distractions as possible to give them my FULL attention.

Please share your takeaways from Section 2 here!

P.S. The Second article in lesson 3, Ask Questions, had a bad link. If you encountered an error with that article, I have it updated now. Let me know if you have any questions!

Laura Gibbs
    CUES
    laurag@cues.org

• 9.  RE: Week 3: Applying Coaching Skills, Lessons 1-5: 6 items: 18 minutes

Posted Oct 25, 2023 11:46 AM

Hey all! 

For me the biggest takeaways from week 3 were related to active listening and being mindful of my habits when listening to others in a meeting/one on one. 

Specifically, I liked the prompt from one article to pay attention when listening in conversations and note when you tend to zone out. I hadn't thought about that much before! I put it in to practice and noticed that tend to zone out when I think someone is taking too long to "get to their point". So I'm going to work harder on staying attentive and engaged when someone is explaining their thoughts more thoroughly. 

I also took note of the "steps to actively listen" that were provided in one of the articles. I found those helpful. 

I agree Laura that virtual meetings can be difficult spaces to stay focused in. Especially when they are not on camera! I really struggle with engagement in larger calls where we are not on video, the distractions are just too tempting. 

Recently, whenever at least one other person is on camera, I'll make an effort and go on camera myself. It definitely helps me stay focused and work on my non-verbal cues! 

Anthony Bertolini
    Marketing Strategist
    Oregon Community CU
    Springfield OR

• 10.  RE: Week 3: Applying Coaching Skills, Lessons 1-5: 6 items: 18 minutes

Posted Oct 30, 2023 10:42 AM

OK, so I quickly read though the comments and I see that I am not alone in copying the "right questions to ask when coaching employees".  I sent them to myself via Teams.  I think starting here for me will certainly help guide my conversations going forward.   Love the ones on how to hold you accountable and how to approach if you don't follow through.  These s tips will definitely be integrated into my next coaching session.   

Laura Kondo - PACE, PHR, SHRM-CP
    Sr. Executive Assistant
    USF Federal Credit Union
    Tampa, FL 33612
    www.usffcu.com