Pathway of the Quarter: Developing Your Coaching Skills

View Only
  • 1.  Week 2: Coaching Sessions, Lessons 1-3: 6 items: 33 minutes

CUES STAFF
    Posted Oct 09, 2023 07:01 AM

Let’s dive right into Section 2, Coaching Sessions! We’ll complete the whole section this week. Be sure to keep an eye out on Wednesday for my topics and takeaways, but as always you don’t have to wait for me!

P.S. If you haven’t already, be sure to register to our roundtable session, happening November 9th!

------------------------------
    Laura Gibbs
    CUES
    Member Engagement Manager
    laurag@cues.org

• 2.  RE: Week 2: Coaching Sessions, Lessons 1-3: 6 items: 33 minutes

CUES STAFF
    Posted Oct 12, 2023 08:29 AM

There was a lot of wonderful content in this week's readings about coaching sessions. Some of my key takeaways were.

·        Focusing on the end result

·        Feedback (positive & constructive)

·        Making personal connections

·        Building trust

·        Connection to the bigger picture

Which coaching model from "4 Coaching Frameworks to Consider for Your Team" will you try, GROW, FUEL, OSKAR, or CLEAR? Do you already use any of these? For me, I tend to learn more towards GROW now but I like FUEL & OSKAR as well and will start implementing these. Having multiple approaches to coaching is nice to have for different situations. When coaching, I like to identify the root cause, the intended outcome, and timeframe in doing so. When coaching behavior and/or performance I like to check in frequently to get a pulse on the situation and how things are going (I like to do this as a leader, and with my leaders). As we learned last week (and Leslie gave us a great example) each person needs different types of coaching. Not only do individuals need different types of coaching, so do different situations. I believe that setting a clear expectation is pivotal, and connecting to the bigger picture (goal, values, etc.).

When it comes to frequency, I have an open-door policy. I am available for all questions, concerns, feedback etc. at any time. I meet with my team collectively on a set weekly schedule. We have monthly one-on-one meetings, and for those who need or want it we meet weekly as well. Communication is so important, and I find the better communication you have the better outcomes you'll see.

How often do you meet with your staff? If you are not a people leader, how often do you meet with your leader?

Please share your takeaways from this week's readings here!

Laura Gibbs
    CUES
    Member Engagement Manager
    laurag@cues.org

• 3.  RE: Week 2: Coaching Sessions, Lessons 1-3: 6 items: 33 minutes

Posted Oct 30, 2023 10:00 AM

Hello all,  

I feel like I view coaching as something completely different from the vibe I get in the materials shared.  To me the articles seem to focus on coaching as more of a corrective action, but to me I think of coaching as discussions where best practices can be shared or a new skilled learned.  Until this year, I have always been the individual contributor, but now I have a direct report.  I always felt that coaching (teaching) came naturally to me, but I find myself struggling a bit as a leader.  I have to adjust my expectations to meet my employees needs. It took me about 4 months to realize I needed to be more available, my door was always open, but did they feel I was "too busy" to approach or ask questions of.  To help boost their confidence, I started weekly, 30 minute, one-on-ones.   They can share with me what they accomplished this week or what is coming up next week.  I can share observations, tips, or tricks on how I may have done something different.  Coaching truly does need to be adapted to the individual receiving it, what might work with one, may not work with another.

Since I'm late to this weeks topic, I love all the ideas shared below.  Definitely some takeaways.   

Laura Kondo - PACE, PHR, SHRM-CP
    Sr. Executive Assistant
    USF Federal Credit Union
    Tampa, FL 33612
    www.usffcu.com

• 4.  RE: Week 2: Coaching Sessions, Lessons 1-3: 6 items: 33 minutes

Posted Oct 12, 2023 05:19 PM

Hey y'all, 

As an aspiring manager, I really enjoyed reading about how to confront employees and provide constructive criticism. It was mentioned in several articles that coaches ask for input. The focus is on conversation and two-way communication. One article went so far as to say that one should listen as much if not more than they speak in a coaching session. 

I don't doubt that I could be a good advocate for my team, but I do know that I would struggle with providing feedback when their performance is lacking. One of the articles mentioned that overlooking or avoiding a performance issue because you assume the employee is already aware is a typical mistake of managers. I think building trust and encouraging honest communication can help work through those difficult conversations. Teams should trust their leaders to have their best interests at heart, especially when their leaders are pointing out opportunities for improvement. 

As far as meeting frequency, I meet with my manager weekly to "talk tactics" and then monthly to check in on six-month goals. I think this frequency works for me as an employee, but I think managers/coaches should do their best to match their employee's needs when it comes to check-ins and communication. Having regular tactics calls helps me keep my priorities aligned with the larger team and CU and monthly goal check-ins keep me mindful of my own career progress. 

I'm looking forward to hearing everyone else's thoughts on the reading! 

Anthony Bertolini
    Marketing Strategist
    Oregon Community CU
    Springfield OR

• 5.  RE: Week 2: Coaching Sessions, Lessons 1-3: 6 items: 33 minutes

Posted Oct 13, 2023 03:42 PM

Feedback! Man, is there anything more critical? I loved the "5 Coaching Techniques" article that broke down some of the ways to deliver feedback. I am curious if any of you are familiar with the SBI model of feedback: Situation, Behavior, Impact. It's a method we've been learning here at SECU, and I LOVE it. By including only specific situations, clearly stating the observable behaviors and then keeping ones' feedback contained to the resultant impact on the business, the anxiety around receiving, (AND GIVING!!) feedback can be greatly reduced. Too often feedback is met with resistance and feelings of being attacked -- the SBI method allows us to stick to "just the facts" and really allows our the coachee to hear you and grow. 

[Leslie] [Dombalis] CCM
    [Vice President, Loan Originations Document Support]
    [SECU]
    [Raleigh] [NC]
    [919.839.8508]

• 6.  RE: Week 2: Coaching Sessions, Lessons 1-3: 6 items: 33 minutes

Posted Oct 13, 2023 04:23 PM

Hey Leslie! 

I had never heard of the SBI method for feedback, but I like it a lot! I think focusing on the observable behavior is a great way to "depersonalize" the criticism. It also feels like it gives the agency back to the employee to make different choices in future situations. 

I also focused a lot on the feedback pointers that were shared in this week's readings. Giving critical feedback is obviously more difficult and more delicate than giving positive feedback, so I'm excited to learn more about how to do this well. I liked that idea of always prompting your employee to during a feedback session and promoting a two-way conversation.

Thanks for sharing about the SBI model! 

Anthony Bertolini
    Marketing Strategist
    Oregon Community CU
    Springfield OR