Pathway of the Quarter: Developing Your Coaching Skills

View Only
  • 1.  Week 1: Understanding Coaching, Lessons 1-3: 4 items: 27 minutes

CUES STAFF
    Posted Oct 03, 2023 08:59 AM
    Edited by Laura Gibbs Oct 03, 2023 09:05 AM

Welcome again to Pathway of the Quarter: Developing Your Coaching Skills. Let's start at the beginning with Section 1: Understanding Coaching.

I'll be back Wednesday with discussion topics and takeaways for the community. But don't want for me, feel free to post your thoughts here!

------------------------------
    Laura Gibbs
    CUES
    Member Engagement Manager
    laurag@cues.org

• 2.  RE: Week 1: Understanding Coaching, Lessons 1-3: 4 items: 27 minutes

CUES STAFF
    Posted Oct 04, 2023 07:01 AM

A key part in this section, for me, was learning about managing versus coaching. Often as managers, or aspiring managers, the thought is these are one in the same. However, we learn the difference between managing and coaching. Leaders, in any capacity are playing a dual role as manager and coach, whether it is to direct reports or others throughout the organization. I think back to my days in a training environment, you know the on-the-job kind, and at that time I had a clear manager and a clear coach. My manager was sending me work to do to learn, and my coach was there to help me get through it, essentially the person giving me the “how-to”.  Those coaches became trusted colleagues, people I was comfortable asking all the questions to as I learned the role. This of course shifted as my OJT ended and my manager then took on the dual role. I thought I would give a clear example of how these two roles can be differentiated. So, when should you or shouldn’t you coach? The article by Sophie Oberstein “Responding to a Request to Coaching” gives great examples of why one may be asked to coach, and questions to ask if one is asked. Did any of these resonate with you?

Coaching helps in building trust, opens communication and feedback – all skills leaders can use in their own development and for their team. What benefits have you received from coaching? Have you ever tried to coach someone who wasn’t really interested? If so, how did you navigate that situation?

Please share any takeaways you have from Section 1 here!

Laura Gibbs
    CUES
    Member Engagement Manager
    laurag@cues.org

• 3.  RE: Week 1: Understanding Coaching, Lessons 1-3: 4 items: 27 minutes

Posted Oct 04, 2023 07:49 AM

I think it is so intriguing to consider the way in which this concept, "manager" vs "coach", has evolved over time, as the working world has become more inclusive. Whereas once, in the days when seniority and "who you know" determined success, a manager's job was simply to assign work and ensure its completeness, today's workforce is built WHAT you know and how hard you work. Coaching candidates to succeed has replaced grooming the owner's son to run the show. 

Of course, just like in sports, not everyone can be coached. Or more accurately, coached the same way. For example, I've an employee on my team, "Jane". Jane is a veteran employee who has been with the organization longer than anyone else on the team, however she is fairly new to the team. She is deeply resistant to change, and our organization has been Going Through It; additionally, she has experienced significant drama in her personal life. As a not-surprising result, her work has suffered. At this point, my best course of action is to manage Jane on a daily basis. From the article, "The Importance of Knowing When to Manage and When to Coach":
    "When team members are feeling overwhelmed, stressed or anxious and do not know to know what to do next, they need someone who can calmly steer them in the right direction."

"Jane" is in a constant state of stress & anxiety due solely to circumstances outside her control. The best thing I can do for her, and for our team, is to simply help her manage her day-to-day workload. Once she is through this difficult time, we can work together to determine a path for growth, if she wants one. 

On the other hand, "Evelyn" soaks up knowledge and is constantly looking for ways to grow. Coaching for her looks like delegating new tasks, like scheduling, that require higher levels of critical thought, or recommending LinkedIn Learning courses for her to review. Both Evelynn and Jane feel like valued members of the team and recognize that I care about them as people as well as employees, largely due to the fact that I take the time to find out the best way to help them BEFORE I try to help.

[Leslie] [Dombalis] CCM
    [Vice President, Loan Originations Document Support]
    [SECU]
    [Raleigh] [NC]
    [919.839.8508]

• 4.  RE: Week 1: Understanding Coaching, Lessons 1-3: 4 items: 27 minutes

Posted Oct 11, 2023 08:36 AM

Hi Leslie,

Great examples of being adaptive to the needs of your team and helping them get to where they need to be based on where they are now and what they are able to handle at this point in their careers or lives.  

Robert Semar
    Internal Auditor
    Allegacy FCU
    Winston Salem NC
    rsemar@allegacy.org

• 5.  RE: Week 1: Understanding Coaching, Lessons 1-3: 4 items: 27 minutes

Posted Oct 05, 2023 07:55 AM

For me understanding the differences in managing an coaching hit home.  I now manage someone but I truly feel more like a coach.  My goal for her and any other administrative assistants we may bring on in the future is to report directly to a specific senior leader, not to me.  I want to coach them, share my knowledge and best practices so that going forward they have the confidence to own a task or project.  To actually become the one leading their leader, to be able to anticipate their needs and be one step ahead of them when possible.  I think that is what makes us successful and ultimately our leaders and the organization.  

Laura Kondo - PACE, PHR, SHRM-CP
    Sr. Executive Assistant
    USF Federal Credit Union
    Tampa, FL 33612
    www.usffcu.com

• 6.  RE: Week 1: Understanding Coaching, Lessons 1-3: 4 items: 27 minutes

Posted Oct 11, 2023 09:14 AM

Hello everyone,

I have not had any instances where anyone has asked me to coach them.  I think coaching and the version of one-on-one, spur of the moment training I do are similar.  Often when I coach, it is not solicited.  As a current internal auditor and former internal auditor, compliance officer and fraud manager, I had a mixed role where I implemented policies and procedures and audited whether these policies and procedures were being followed.  As a people person, I enjoy helping people become their best selves and be the best employee they can be.

Should I coach someone who may want to leave the organization?  I agree with the article that this would be okay as they may stay within the organization…though there are circumstances where I may want to refrain from it, especially if it is on company time.  If I can help them understand why they are being asked to do what they are responsible for, they might be more engaged during the process and go above and beyond what is expected of them.  I think it was Richard Branson from Virgin Atlantic who said 'I train my employees well enough so they can leave but treat them well enough so they stay".  If we coach employees to become more self-reliant and confident in their abilities, and make sure they know that failure is okay and something to learn from, they may become more committed and decide that they like working in an organization or for a manager who values them and is willing to make them the best they can be even at the risk of them leaving.

I have tried coaching people who did not seem interested in coaching.  Again, my thinking of coaching and training overlapping, I still coach those employees who do not seem interested in why they are doing what they are doing and how they can do it better.  I think it is fair to them as a person and employee to take this approach.  And, in my examples, I am not coaching them in the traditional coach/coachee relationship where the coaching is requested and structured, I am coaching on specific procedures within the credit union…so it does not normally take more than 5-10 minutes and is not structured where I follow-up with them on a set timeframe.  That said, I love coaching/training employees who have a genuine interest in the subject matter, who want to learn as much as they can and/or are looking to advance their careers.  I take all coaching opportunities as an opportunity to build our relationship, gain trust and to try to make them feel valued because I take the time to coach them.  I want them to feel like they can call me when they are unsure of how to handle a situation or what to do and know that I will support them, give them the answer and thank them for taking the time to make sure they did it right.  This is much better than that manager who is condescending, critical or judgmental when an employee asks a question about something they should know and/or tells them to look it up.

I could go on and on:) Thanks to everyone for contributing and taking the time to help each of us learn and grow.

Rob

Robert Semar
    Internal Auditor
    Allegacy FCU
    Winston Salem NC
    rsemar@allegacy.org

• 7.  RE: Week 1: Understanding Coaching, Lessons 1-3: 4 items: 27 minutes

Posted Oct 11, 2023 10:12 AM

Hey all, getting caught up after a busy week! 

As an aspiring manager, these articles were very helpful. I've had a ton of different managers over the years but rarely any coaches. I know one article mentioned that coaches should be someone a little farther removed than a direct report, but as an employee, I'd find it very helpful to have a manager be my advocate and help me find the coaching that I want/need. Direct managers have the agency needed to provide and protect the space needed to hone skills and learn new things for their team. 

After this lesson, I really want to explore finding myself a coach that's a manager in a slightly different team than my own. I think there is real value in exploring different departments and their processes. It would also be awesome to see a different management style from a coach who isn't on your own team. 

Anthony Bertolini
    Marketing Strategist
    Oregon Community CU
    Springfield OR